E Fichna Journal

Monday, December 04, 2006

Highlight the skills and knowledge you have gained and developed and show how you have gained them. Provide suggestions for improvement and how these

Highlight the skills and knowledge you have gained and developed and show how you have gained them. Provide suggestions for improvement and how these attributes will inform your study in future modules this year.

During this narrative project we was asked to do a two minute film based on anything we want. We were put into a group of five people. We decided to do a story about a tramp, but I told them it was a bit too used in student films and decided to change it to a story about a depressed man who lost his girlfriend. To do this we are to use the programs Adobe Premier and Mini DV camera.

We had to use Microsoft PowerPoint to present our ideas we learned that we should tell everything about our project. We decide who was going to do what page and that’s it, but really should have all rehearsed it together. We used bullet points to point out what we wanted to say. But we didn’t use any images and I did say to the group that we needed images in the presentation, but I was ignored. I will in future put images in my presentations.
After our presentation, I watched the other groups do their presentations and wrote down what they did right and wrong, so I can look back on the notes and know how to do presentations right the next time.

We then chose our roles during the project. The roles are based on who has more experience over the project. I was in charge of editing because I am quite good at Video Editing and have the same program at home, but different a version.
The one we used at University is called Adobe Premiere Pro and the one I have is called Adobe Premiere Element 2.1.
Premiere Pro is a lot harder to use compared to Premiere Element. Element is quicker to use and easy to learn from, while Pro you have to go through different menus to get the effects and have to render the clip to see special effects.

We then started to discuss where we were going to film because it is important to get the locations right, so it will match the mood of the film and had to make sure we could film there. So we asked Artis if we could and he said yes. We chose to film at Artis room for the depressing scenes and outside for the memory scenes. We chose to film at Artis place because the light from the window made a nice dark atmosphere and his room was a little untied and made a great mood for the certain scenes.

I had to wait for Artis, Jennie and Ben to finish the filming. I didn’t do any filming during the project because they could only film during the weekend when Ben’s girlfriend could be available for the filming. I live all the way in Mansfield and travel to University everyday by bus. I only have enough money for four days a week travel.

I’ve already got knowledge on how to film because I did it back in March, when I was at College studying BTEC Multi Media. I did a movie about a toy car, running around the house.

I didn’t know how to download footage from a camera to a computer, so I had no idea on how to upload into Premiere. I learnt this during an introduction to Adobe Premier.
When I started editing, I always made sure I had a few members around with me to check on my editing. I thought it would be better that way.
Even though I know how to use the program, I wasn’t sure what scene needed to be where and asked others to see if the order I put them in was right and the right length.
The special effects were quick to do because I already knew how to do them with Premiere Element.
I only added the ‘Additive Dissolve’ on white clips to create a very bright fade in and fade out from a memory scene. I made sure that the film didn’t go beyond two minutes, not even one second over.

Overall I think the final piece showed almost everything we wanted. Which was about a depressed man that lost his girlfriend, but you don’t know it till the end and that’s how we wanted it.

Ben was the director of the film and everything we did; we had to show to him, to make sure it is how he wanted it. There are a few scenes that I put together that he didn’t think of and liked it. After we finished the video editing it was time to add the special effects.

I became the time organizer, because I’ve done filming in the past and have a bit more experience then the other members. But some times I clashed with Ben who became the leader, because he was laid back during the project and was taking to long with the filming.
In the forum I asked when the filming will start and got a brief reply, which really made me angry. It made me angry because we need to get a move on things, so we can get it done as soon as possible. I kept into count that something might go wrong during the project and might have to start it all again. But he kept telling me to calm down and I went along with it because I felt like I was being a nuisance.
But besides that I think our teamwork was great. We all showed up to every meeting, worked hard on each of our roles, stayed in contact with each others progress and we all gave our own views on the movie.

I watched the movie a few times and thought it is really good for a first try, but the only thing I would change is the only bit in the movie where you hear talking. I would have taken it out because it looks like we just forgot to mute it out. In the presentation we said we would edit still pictures for the movie, but we didn’t do them because we realized that the movie is too short to add all this stuff in.

Something I thought we could change was the music because I didn’t here the music till last minute and Owais didn’t see the footage to make the music too. So I would have made sure that he saw it a few times before he made the music and I could have checked the music during its process so I can add my views to it and made it better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home